This Renaissance monument is authored by Jean de Rouen and was built by King John III in 1533
Legend has it that one day King John III of Portugal outlined in the sleeve of his jerkin a cloister and surrounding garden, which he later had built
The Christian religion is represented symbolically, evoking the Source of Life in the midst of paradise, where the four rivers radiated to the four cardinal points
Currently, only the dome and central source remain. They are connected to four small chapels and surrounded by its small lakes
Since 1977, there has been a wonderful restaurant and café where both town people and tourists can spend a pleasant and cozy time
Of Jardim da Manga
This Renaissance monument, whose plant and sculpture is authored by Jean de Rouen, was built by King John III, in 1533. The history of this monument is closely linked to the Monastery of Santa Cruz, of which it was part of. Legend has it that one day that King John III of Portugal visited the monastery and, faced with a large unused space, outlined in the sleeve of his jerkin a cloister and surrounding garden, which later had it built.
The monument was designed with detail, the result of much thought and wisdom, presenting itself as a work full of symbolism, influenced by reformer prior Brother Brás de Barros, who wanted to convey a message, not only to his contemporaries but also to future generations . Here are symbolically present, through architecture and decorative elements, the fundamentals of the Christian religion, evoking the Source of Life in the midst of paradise, where the four rivers radiated to the four cardinal points.
Currently formed only by the dome and central source, connected to four small chapels and surrounded by its small lakes of rectangular shape, it is all that remains of the old Manga Cloister, the Monastery of Santa Cruz, that belonged to the canons of St. Augustine order.
Jardim Da Manga
Nowadays, in such an agreeable place, there is a wonderful restaurant and café where both town people and tourists can spend a pleasant and cozy time chatting and enjoying the view.
The space was completely renovated in 2010 and offers the customer a modern and comfortable interior space. It is a great place to hold group meals or a quick meal by trying our daily menu. Our versatility also extends to the cafeteria service, where the customer can enjoy a typical Portuguese breakfast, a simple snack, or a drink.
For the customer's greater comfort, the restaurant also offers free wireless internet service and television. We also have an outdoor space with a view of the monument, which is the ideal choice on a sunny day.